The Materials Characterization Facility (MCF) is a core research facility of the Center for Sustainable Energy at Notre Dame (ND Energy). This facility provides world-class, state-of-the-art equipment and instrumentation with major capabilities in the following areas to support scientific advancements and new or improved sustainable energy technologies and systems. The MCF welcomes users from Notre Dame and other academia and industrial institutions.
- General Materials Characterization - Modern instrumentation and expertise for solid, liquid, and gas characterization by spectroscopic, thermal, X-ray, BET, and spectrometric analytical methods. These capabilities are available in 132 Nieuwland Science Hall.
- Photovoltaic and Electrocatalyst Characterization - Two catalyst and photovoltaic testing stations include solar simulators, automated gas sampling loops for in-line GC evolved gas detection, and a potentiostat with eletrochemical impedance and rotating disc electrode capabilities. These capabilities are available in 132 Nieuwland Science Hall.
- Crystallographic Characterization - Powder and single crystal x-ray diffractometers are available for a wide range of structural characterization. These capabilities are available in 303 Stinson-Remick Hall.
EXTERNAL USERS WELCOME!
Please contact Ian Lightcap at firstname.lastname@example.org or 574-631-1493.
ND Energy is pleased to offer Utilization Grants to researchers who may have no other source of funding to support their energy-related research projects requiring use of one or more instruments in the Materials Characterization Facility. For details on how to apply, visit the ND Energy Website.
- Microwave Reactor
- Thermal Evaporator
Surface and Thermal Analysis
- Adsorption (BET/Chemi- and Physi-sorption) (Micromeritics)
- Atomic Force Microscope (AFM Park XE7)
- Differential Scanning Calorimeter (Setaram)
- TGA/DSC-Mass Spectrometer (Mettler Toledo / Pfeiffer)
- Profilometer (Bruker)
- X-Ray Photo-electron Spectrometer (XPS)
- FTIR Spectrometer equipped with ATR and Diffuse reflectance accessory (Jasco)
- Fourier Transform Infrared Spectroscopy Microscope (Spotlight 200 Perkin Elmer)
- UV-VIS-NIR Absorbance (Jasco)
- Raman (Point and Mapping) (Jasco / Bruker)
- Solar Simulators (2 Xe lamps - 150W ozone free, and 300W)
Photocatalyst and Electro-chemical Testing Stations
- Solar Simulator
- In-Line Gas Chromatography
- Potentiostat with Rotating Disk
- Gas Chromatography-Mas Spectrometer
- Powder X-Ray Diffraction (Bruker)
- Single Crystal X-Ray Diffraction (Bruker)
- High Resolution X-Ray Diffraction
- In-Situ Raman