ALL NEW AND CURRENT USERS ARE REQUIRED TO BE TRAINED AND HAVE A SIGNED LABORATORY POLICY AND AGREEMENT CONTRACT ON FILE BEFORE SCHEDULING USE OF THE EQUIPMENT IN THE MCF.
Instructions and guidelines for completing required training, scheduling use of the equipment, cancelling reservations, and billing are provided below. Please read this information carefully and contact the facility manager, Ian Lightcap, at firstname.lastname@example.org or 574-631-1493 if you have any questions.
INSTRUCTIONS AND GUIDELINES
Completing Required Training:
- Users must complete training and have a signed Laboratory Policy and Agreement Contract on record prior to becoming a new user. Copies of the contract are available in the MCF office or you can print off a copy and bring it with you to your first training session. To schedule your training session, contact the facility manager, Ian Lightcap, at email@example.com or 574-631-1493.
Acknowledging Use of the MCF:
- All users should acknowledge the MCF in all publications that have involved some use of facility equipment and/or instrumentation, or have benefitted from the assistance of the facility manager. Publications are a key indicator of the usefulness and impact of the MCF and are reported annually by ND Energy to the Office of the Vice President for Research.
- Please use the following standard statement to acknowledge the MCF in your publications:
We thank the ND Energy Materials Characterization Facility (MCF) for the use of the [insert instrument(s) here]. The MCF is funded by the Sustainable Energy Initiative (SEI), which is part of the Center for Sustainable Energy at Notre Dame (ND Energy).
- After you have completed your training, you will be able to schedule time on the equipment through the Google Calendar. A “user name” and “password” will be provided to you during your initial training session.
- When scheduling time on equipment, it is very important for you to estimate the correct amount of time needed before making a reservation.
- If you want to use only the instrument software to analyze data, then check the Google Calendar first and if the instrument is not reserved, then you may do so. (FOP accounts will not be charged when the instrument is not reserved.)
- If you have made a reservation and no longer need to use the equipment, then you must cancel your reservation on the Google Calendar.
- If you reserved more than 4 hours and no longer need to use the equipment, then you must notify the facility manager, Ian Lightcap, as soon as possible at firstname.lastname@example.org or 574-631-1493.
- When you use the facility for the first time, you must provide to the facility manager the Fund-Organization-Program (FOP) numbers to be used for charging your use of the equipment. You should verify the relevant FOP numbers with your supervisor, before scheduling time. Any changes in the FOP must be reported to the facility manager in a timely manner.
- Each time you use an instrument, you must log in and log out by using the log book located in the MCF (see sample of page and instructions). In most cases, charges will be calculated based on the actual time the equipment is being used, as noted in the log book, versus the time reserved in the Google Calendar. If users fail to enter their time in the log book, then charges will be calculated based on the Google Calendar reservation.
- If a large discrepancy exists between the time reserved in the Google Calendar and the actual time of use, as noted in the log book, then you may be charged for the time reserved.
- If you choose to use the instrument software to analyze data during a reserved time, then your FOP account on record will be charged for the analysis and measurement.
- If you fail to properly cancel your reservation, then the FOP account on record will be charged for the amount of time reserved.
- If you are one hour late for your reservation, then your appointment may be cancelled by the facility manager and your FOP account on record will be charged for the hour.